About the contest
K-12 students in Padre Dam’s service area can enter to win the Water Is Life Student Poster Contest! Local winners will be awarded and their artwork could be printed in Metropolitan’s Water is Life Calendar! This contest is perfect at-home science activity for kids. All artwork must be submitted by May 13, 2020. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 619.599.6774 with any questions.
The theme of the 2021 student art calendar contest: “Water is Life,” relates to the stewardship and conservation of our precious natural resource, water. This means wise and efficient water use inside and outside of the home, at school, in the community, in business and industry, in agriculture, and in recreation.
Climate change is already stressing Southern California’s water supplies. Every watershed the Southland depends on, from the Colorado River to the Sierra Nevada to our own groundwater basins, is becoming less reliable. The future requires that we use water wisely. This theme of water conservation and stewardship should be reflected in the art work.
ART SELECTION CRITERIA
Each of these selection criteria must be followed in order for the artwork to qualify for judging by Metropolitan. All art media is eligible (print, digital, sculpture, etc.) but submissions must adhere to the following criteria.
- Artwork must be 8.5” X 11” in size (under/oversized artwork WILL NOT be eligible) and drawn on white poster board or white drawing paper (no lines).
- Artwork must be drawn horizontally (e.g., oriented 11” horizontally and 8.5” vertical).
- Artwork must depict various water uses and/or water in one of the following: inside or outside the home or school, industry, business, the environment (nature), agriculture or recreation.
- “Water is Life” is the overall theme. A short, neat, water message must be written on the artwork (but, not necessarily the words water is life). Please no misspelled words and the less text, the better.
- Bold, bright, brilliant colors show up the best. Students may use the following art media: crayons, markers, pencils, paints, watercolors, chalks, cut paper or fabric.
- Artwork must be original (no traced, trademarked, or copyrighted characters, slogans, i.e. Snoopy, Sponge Bob, Dora the Explorer, etc.) Please no repeat artwork from past years.
How to submit
Submit all artwork to Padre Dam by scanning the artwork or taking a photo of it and emailing it to email@example.com. In your email, please include the student’s name, grade level, school, teacher’s name and teacher’s email address.
Metropolitan and Padre Dam have the right to use any selected poster for its “Water is Life” calendar and promotional items and for any other public relations use.
Click here for a PDF of the flyer and guidelines.